At North Downs Specialist Referrals, our busy referral hospital provides the ideal environment for you to develop and grow as a registered veterinary nurse.
We are committed to providing the highest quality of care to every patient we treat and our team of veterinary nurses are dedicated to caring for our patients day and night.
Our nursing team ensures that every patient within our care has a comfortable and seamless journey whilst with us.
What can we offer you as a referral nurse?
- At NDSR, you’ll have the chance to experience multiple disciplines and work alongside some of the UK’s top veterinary Specialists.
- You’ll use state-of-the-art equipment and learn from our current team of amazing nurses.
- A comprehensive induction programme ensures you’re fully supported when you start. This support continues throughout your career.
- All nurses start as rotating nurses but, with time, you’ll have the opportunity to specialise in disciplines and areas that are of interest to you.
- Our innovative nursing pathways scheme ensures we have clear routes for you to progress and develop your career into team leadership and management in areas such as operations, quality, training and pastoral care.
A dedicated team with experienced discipline-specific nurses
Working alongside our multi-disciplinary team of Specialists, residents and interns and our nursing team, we can focus on a range of specialisms in practice. This gives you the opportunity to specialise in an area you're most interested in. These areas include anaesthesia, cardiology, diagnostic imaging, wards, neurology, oncology and theatre nursing.
We are also a training hospital, where we have student nurses and post-registration programme nurses working alongside our team to expand their skills and knowledge from our experienced nursing team.
Download our guide to learn more about nursing careers with us:
Don’t just take our word for it
“The induction programme is amazing. It’s the best I’ve come across. Don’t worry if you think you’re going to be thrown in at the deep end and won’t be able to cope. At NDSR, you’re supported every step of the way”.
“I started off on an induction programme with a buddy who constantly made sure I was OK and guide me through everything.”
“I started as a rotating nurse and rotated through all the disciplines such as theatre, surgery wards and the high-dependency unit before I found my niche in neurology.”
“I realised that was what I really wanted, to be somewhere with other people who were all committed to providing the highest standard of care available.”
“The opportunity to job share helps massively with my work-life balance.”
“The team are AMAZING. I’ve been qualified for 12 years and been working in practice since I was 18 years old. Everywhere you work, you meet lovely people, but this is such a huge concentration of lovely colleagues. It’s an extended family; everyone is there for each other.”
Our benefits package includes:
- Competitive salary
- 5 weeks holiday + bank holidays + your birthday off
- RCVS and VDS fees paid
- Extensive free online CPD programmes and funded external CPD
- Enhanced sickness pay
- Enhanced equal family leave
- Recruitment referral reward scheme
- Staff discount.
Many of our team have flexible working patterns with options for part-time roles to fit around the needs of family.
Interested in experiencing life as a referral nurse at our practice?
To support skills development for RVNs, we offer a limited number of day-long shadowing opportunities. You will spend a day working alongside and learning from our fabulous RVNs.
Although a lot will depend on caseloads on the day, we aim to give you exposure to the various roles that make nursing in a referral hospital. A day shadowing our experienced referral nursing team is a rewarding experience and will count towards your annual CPD credits.
To register your interest in one of our CPD Nurse Shadowing days please email Lauren.Emmett@ndsr.co.uk