The ophthalmology service treats conditions of the eyes and eyelids.
The ophthalmology service accepts referrals in all aspects of medical and surgical ophthalmology. Common indications for referral include loss of vision, ocular pain, ocular discharge and change in appearance of the eye. Highly specialised equipment is available for examination of the eye, including slit lamp bimicroscopy, indirect ophthalmoscopy, tonometry and gonioscopy. Our surgical facilities are equipped with a Zeiss operating microscope, a phacoemulsificaion machine, ophthalmic laser, cryotherapy and extensive microsurgical instrumentation.
Availability of an onsite CT, MRI, ocular ultrasound and electroretinography allow us to provide a state-of-the-art referral service. This is enhanced further by the availability of Specialists in other related disciplines, allowing the multi-disciplinary approach taken to all patients in our care. This is particularly important for ophthalmology patients as many eye conditions are associated with systemic disease.
The ophthalmology service has experienced microsurgeons who routinely perform complex intraoccular procedures and corneal grafting procedures.
The service accepts referrals in all aspects of medical and surgical ocular disease including
- Cataract surgery and intraocular lens implantation
- Lens luxation and instability
- Recurrent conjunctival disease
- Nasolacrimal diseases
- Reconstructive eyelid surgery including ectropian, entropian and neoplasia
- Corneal diseases including ulcerative disease, perforation and foreign bodies
- Refractory 'Dry eye'- KCS
- 'Cherry eye'
- Inherited and acquired retinal disease
- Orbital diseases including orbital tumours
See also our Ophthalmology Pet Health Information Sheets.